Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Girl Scout....To be or not to be...


I read an article that's going around on Facebook this morning that made me aware of somethings I didn't know about the Girl Scouts. My girls are in Girl Scouts so this is certainly something I need to check into. Please be aware, this article is not me for or against it, it's my rambling thoughts about whether or not we should be involved. The article says that this organization supports abortion and allows little boys who cross-dress to be involved among other things. This is not something I want my girls to be a part of. The other part of me is saying, but my girls know nothing about all this, I didn't know anything about all this. What we know is what our little troop here is doing. Here is the mission statement: Girl Scouting builds girls of courage, confidence, and character, who make the world a better place. They memorize this promise: On my honor I will try: To serve God and my country, To help people at all times, and to live by the Girl Scout Law. What is the law you may ask? The Law: I will do my best to be honest and fair, friendly and helpful, considerate and caring, courageous and strong, and responsible for what I say and do, and to respect myself and others, respect authority, use resources wisely, make the world a better place, and to be a sister to every Girl Scout. When this is all you know Girl Scouts seems like a wonderful organization to be a part of. Do I want to be associated with something like this? No. But where do I draw the line? Walmart also supports abortion and is also partnered with NGLCC, a national Gay and Lesbian group. What's the difference and yet we shop at Walmart almost daily supporting them. I thought Target also supported this but all I can find is that they support Anti-Gay politicians. So if we're going to choose to stop supporting and being a part of Girl Scouts, we have to include Walmart in this also. And I'm sure there's tons of other businesses out there that we must research and boycott. Especially check into your clothing brands, like for instance Hilfiger and Abercrombie and Fitch. So are there other organizations out there that my girls can be a part of that's all good? They really love Girl Scouts but I do have to think of my example in this community. Which also brings me to wonder, what about the influence we may have over our leader who is a non-Christian. There are 6 families from our church represented in the two troops in our town. We make up over half the troops. We've gotten to know her really well. Will us pulling out make her resent us and our church? Okay, I need some thoughts on this please.

3 comments:

Anna said...

Well, I think, that in your local group if you are involved you know what is happening. No sermons telling you to be ok with abortion, cross dressing and whatever else that articles said girl scouts support. Are you supporting the corporate offices by having your girls in GS? Maybe don't sell the cookies since that looks like more of the proceeds go to those offices but have car washes or your own locally baked sales to raise your funds and the money will stay with you group and only that.
I don't know, I have been wondering about all the different girls in our area who I tend to buy a box from each year. What do I tell them?

Robbie Bott said...

Microsoft is a open advocate for the gay and lesbian community. However our church and several hundred thousand churches across America and the world use Microsoft products and services on a day to day basis, to present the Word of God. That does not mean that they support the gay community.

GS in FL said...

Girls Scouts does not support Planned Parenthood. They support the girls in the program. The money from cookie sales is broken up, most of the money goes to the baker and the box maker. Troops get a very small portion, the immediate councile is also given a share (that money is used to keep up camps, pay for training for leaders and parents and to give local girls who cannot afford it a chance to be a Girl Scout. The rest of the money (which is not alot either) goes to GSUSA. They use that money for their use that includes scholarships for girls who have earned their gold award. The Girl Scouts is very big into teaching our girls how to be better people and make a difference in the world. They do not support Planned Parenthood. You need to be careful what you read on Facebook and on the internet. There are posts and blogs all over the place about how Elvis was sighted in the local diner eating a bacon cheeseburger. Is it truth because it was posted? There are many people and groups that do not like the Girl Scouts. I have seen some claim the only things taught are how to sew and cook. Girl Scouts also take into consideration how the girls feel and what it is they want to get out of Girl Scouts. They stand in front of adults on a conference and let them know what part of the program works and what doesn't. They accept girls from all religions, race and ethnicity. If a girl is green with purple dots she would be welcomed warmly. Does that sound like an evil empire looking to corrupt the world? Another great thing about Girl Scouts is if you do not like your leader you can either go to another troop or start your own. I would not pull them because some ignorant man did not research what was done in order to obtain the gold award. Every organization is only as great as their weakest link. I am sure there are people within the community who support Planned Parenthood but it does not make them evil. If it were true, then every politician is evil, every teacher, doctor, nurse and little sweet old ladies are too. As for the issues with gays and lesbians, who cares??? We are not the ones to decided on their fate, that is up to God when He judges them. I see no reason to treat every person the way you would want to be treated. Sorry this is so long, but I have seen great things come out of Girl Scouts. I have four troops and my girls amaze me every single day. They all have my phone number and they text me all the time. They talk to each other and suport their "sisters" as well. I have seen them look around the world and decide that if someone needed help, they were going to find a way to help them. They are an amazing team of young women and a force that will take the world by storm. Don't give up on Girl Scouts they do so much for the girls and get the girls involved in their community. A couple of my girls started a hotline in their middle school that has become successful. They are able to talk to their peers about whatever is bothering them and yes, middle schoolers do think and talk about sex. My girls have made other girls feel secure knowing they are not the only ones.